3 Jul 2007

I am An Embarrassed Jew

clipped from www.advocate.com
Police and medics mobilize for possible violent attacks on Jerusalem gay pride march
Thousands of police deployed across Jerusalem on Thursday to head off any violence at a Gay Pride march that has sparked riots by ultra-Orthodox Jews and denunciations by Muslim and Christian leaders.
Several hundred ultra-Orthdox protesters held a counterdemonstration in another part of Jerusalem ahead of the march, bringing traffic to a standstill. Trash bins were set afire, and smoke and the stench of burning garbage wafted through the air.
Opponents appealed to the Israeli Supreme Court to ban the march, but the justices ruled Wednesday night that it could go ahead.
Ultra-Orthodox Jews have rioted repeatedly over the past week, burning tires, assaulting policemen and damaging police cars.
At the 2005 march, an ultra-Orthodox man stabbed three marchers. Last year, the street parade was canceled because of safety concerns, and gays celebrated at a sports stadium on the edge of the city.
Embarrassed is the only word I can think of when I see my fellow Jews acting like wild animals simply because people who do not agree with their strict adherence to their own religious values wants to celebrate their freedom. Fundamentalism in any religion is ugly, hateful and damaging.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

....Fundamentalism in any religion is ugly, hateful and damaging...

A common theme, isn't it?

...AcesLucky

Unknown said...

Don't be embarrassed, be proud to stand among those who oppose these things using compassion, reason and courage.

...says Ratfler

Unknown said...

You are absolutely right, ratilfar. I really overstated my feelings in the clip description. I really meant that seeing people, fellow Jews, behave that way is an embarrassment, but that I myself am personally proud to stand with the people who oppose those thugs.

Thank you for pointing this out to me.